



I took my first full week of vacation in Africa. And I decided to climb a mountain. Mt. Kilimanjaro, the tallest peak in Africa at 5895 meters. The trek was 6 days, 4 days up and 2 days down, along the Rongai route, one of the lesser known routes up the mountain. Along with 2 friends from Swaziland, I joined a group of 11 hikers in total. We were accompanied by a support staff of 39, including porters to carry our backpacks, food and tents. I just had to carry myself and water up the mountain, which is easier said than done. The final push to the top involved leaving at midnight in order to see the sunrise from the top, a truly remarkable and spiritual experience. I'm passing on a top ten list of sorts for others who may choose to follow in my footsteps.
1. Diamox got me up the mountain and ibuprofen got me down the mountain. Remember the side effect of diamox...peeing at least every hour especially given the fact I was also drinking 4 liters of water a day.
2. Don't forget physics, what goes up must come down. Coming down is not easy.
3. Snickers really satisfies. Eating one an hour during the final ascent gave me the energy I needed. When else can I say it is okay to eat snickers one per hour? When I got too tired to chew (yes this did happen), "goo" became essential energy.
4. I almost felt like I was in residency again; hiking 21 hours in a 36 hour period with no sleep made me almost want to be on call instead. Then I looked around at my surroundings and realized these thoughts may have been caused by acute mountain sickness.
5. "Lip ice", to quote a native, is essential. I would aruge that "nose ice" is just as essential. Bring a lot of vaseline.
6. Carrying extra batteries up the mountain is a sure way to ensure that you won't need them.
7. This was a once in a lifetime experience; I am not cut out to become a mountain guide as they have climbed to the top over 100 times.
8. Don't look at the water you will be drinking, just add gatorade powder to immediately change the water color and then start drinking.
9. Enjoy your fellow walking companions; laugh alot.
10. Again to quote a good friend, enjoy the entire mountain. It's not about making it to the top, it is about the journey to the top.

6 comments:
!!!!!!!!!
WOW!!!!!!!
Amazing, fantastic, wow! (also, that is a pretty impressive ratio of support staff)
Where is your top glacier-edge picture taken from?
What an expedition! Adventure of a lifetime, now when someone mention Mt Kilimanjaro I can say I know someone who's been there I am so proud of you! Thanks for your blog!
Congratulations!! I was thinking of you all week. 39 support people for 11 hikers....wow, that's crazy!
One thing about running long distances that I like is the guilt I DON'T feel what I eat a lot before and after. I'm glad you enjoyed those Snickers!!
Wow!! My problem is that I am not hiking and still don't feel guilty about eating a Snickers bar at a rate of 1 per hour. Stephanie, you never cease to amaze me. It will certainly be hard to follow in your footsteps, up Mt. K. or anywhere else. Arden is writing a paper on Nigeria(it was assigned or I would have voted for Swaziland), and your stories of daily life will help him to really appreciate what life is like for some in Africa.
Things here are rolling along, I am awaiting provider numbers before I can start my new job. I'm trying to get the financing together for a house I'm buying in Suffolk, and the kids are now in Nansemond-Suffolk Academy and liking it a lot. We miss you a ton. When is a good time to go to Swaziland? And will you be there much longer?
Patricia, Arden and Livia
Good to see my former piano student realizing my dream of climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro. Have you read Hemingway's "Snows of Kilimanjaro"? I enjoy following your blog and wish you all the best in Swaziland. Martha Smith
Congrats!! Quite impressive. Yes, Diamox can work wonders. Only if you take it BEFORE you get sick. (learned that one the hard way!)
So what's next? :)
Post a Comment