



I've been meaning to talk about water for a while....Here in the big city of Mbabane there are occasional moments, or hours, where we don't have water, but for the most part, its only a minor inconvenience. So, we don't take a shower, or our laundry doesn't get done, but its not a big deal. Furthermore, we take for granted the water that flows from our tap. Every day I ask patients at clinic where they get their water, and many respond that they drink river water...without boiling it!
But water serves many purposes as I have learned over here. I'm posting my favorite animal photos of some cows drinking water from one small water spout in the middle of nowhere, and of elephants playing in the mud.
I'm also posting a photo of a vegetable garden, created due to the close proximity of a water source. This was again out in the middle of nowhere, when I was heading to a rural clinic to teach about diagnosing HIV in infants, when all of a sudden out of the dry land came this pond of water, with a surrounding great vegetable garden. Clearly a lucky community to have such a great source of food.
Finally, the last photo is of our most recent road trip. In the middle of a 20 km sand road our dear friend Michelle's car overheated (for the second time in two weeks, despite being fixed), and so we had to add more water and wait for the car to cool down. Good thing we carry "car water" to help out, and good thing she caught it early as two weeks prior we had to wait in rural South Africa for a tow truck to arrive....So drink up, cheers to water!

3 comments:
I vividly remember being in Malawi and going to a farm that was a showcase for the efficient use of water. They had bananas and strawberries. It was incredible! Your farm reminded me of the striking green amid the brown.
I am catching up after a little hiatus, and so blown away by your photos and stories. Do you know how much longer you'll be there, or is it up in the air?
So only now am I learning I can comment on your comments! Anyways, Anne, you have asked the question all, especially my parents, would like to know. For now, does "until sometime in 2010" answer your question.
Post a Comment