

I know that some of you know and some of you may not know but I am back in Mbabane. For a few months. As part of my work at Baylor, I have been given the opportunity to return to Swaziland to work at the clinic a bit and work on some projects. Mostly some small data collection projects to learn more about the care we are providing our children. In the meantime, I have been enjoying reflecting on my time here....
Headed to a game park in Swaziland for my first weekend here, and was amazed to see a group of vultures eating a wildebeast. No matter how many animals, or how much nature I see, I continue to be fascinated by the scenes I see.
Despite the fact I traveled home in Decemberwith many suitcases, and shipped a few boxes too, I left a lot of my clothes here. I have enjoyed seeing people wearing my clothes, everything from shirts to shoes. One boy who got a pair of shoes I left behind apparently doesn't take them off. He wears his pink women's tennis shoes everywhere!
And I have been saddened to see the "same stories" walking through the clinic doors. Malnourished children, suffering from TB, HIV and delayed in seeking care. I see the numbers and read the stories that improvements are being made in the field of HIV in Africa. More women have access to medications to prevent transmission to their child. More are being tested for HIV. More are taking the life-saving medications. I KNOW progress is being made. Its important to remember these advances as I struggle to help the "same stories" that have been challenging my mental and emotional wit here for the past three years.

No comments:
Post a Comment