I am now back in the US; I've been back for about 2 months now. Although my life has become the hectic life of a grad student / pediatrician, I still am working on some small projects in Swaziland, and already planning and preparing for my next journey abroad, likely in about a year.
I never shared with you my two favorite stories from my recent journey. Well...there is now a movie theater in Swaziland. And one of the highlights was taking four young children to their first ever movie in a movie theater. The awe in their eyes and the look on their faces is not something I will quickly forget.
Another amazing experience was put upon me by some family friends from Arlington. Several years ago a friend traveling with my parents left a pair of shoes in Swaziland. I wore them for several years and then left them there when I returned to the US to live. Well, I found these shoes being worn by a Swazi teen who plays ultimate frisbee with some of my friends and colleagues there; they were his favorite pair of shoes. So, in an amazing gesture of kindness, this family friend donated money to buy all the kids who play frisbee a new pair of shoes. I got to feel like "Oprah" for a day as I told all the children they could pick out a pair of shoes, within a budget. So much fun!
Finally, though I am in the US, I still know and hear about the challenges Swaziland is facing, both from this horrible disease you have learned about and from the tough economic times that are challenging the entire world. Just because you aren't hearing about the first hand weekly struggles from me doesn't mean they aren't there, because they are. Any thoughts directed towards this small, still struggling kingdom will be warmly received I am sure.

No comments:
Post a Comment