I have finally managed to navigate the Swaziland internet well enough to get some stories and hopefully even photos onto the web. I hope you will have success reading and following my journey online. If you ever have difficulties with computers or links or downloading, remember that the internet I am now used to is "slower than frozen molasses" most of the time.
For those of you who have not heard from me or who have forgotten exactly where I am, I am now living in Mbabane, Swaziland, a small city in a small country located between South Africa and Mozambique. I spend my days working at the Baylor Center of Excellence, a clinic for HIV positive children and their families. In addition to treating children in Mbabane, I travel around the country a bit taking care of children in more rural parts of the country who can't make it to Mbabane.
My roommate Erin and I live in a beautiful townhome with an amazing view of Pine Valley. Recently the smoke-filled air from burning fields has turned into fresh spring air that is bringing new growth and greenery to the land. I have spent most of my weekends hiking in the Swazi countryside and admiring the new wildlife (from birds to zebras) that live in this part of the world.
Before arriving in Swaziland I was told to remember the phrase "no sense of urgency". While these words of wisdom accurately describe the laid-back, calm lifestyle of the Swazis, they can also be used to remind me that I am living in a developing country; when there is no water for washing dishes or no hot water or worse yet the shower stops running with shampoo in my hair, "there is no sense of urgency"...so far the water has always returned, eventually. I am asking you all to keep this phrase in mind as you search for further posts. Eventually, there will be more.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Stephanie! Thank you for sharing your experience here. I look forward to your reflections on your life and work in Swaziland. Maybe you are sick of hearing it from all of us back home, but I think what you are doing is amazing, and I'm proud to call you my friend. Keep enjoying the wildlife and fresh air...
Hi Stephanie it's me Teng. Today is one of the best day of my golden weekend, it was just my delight after adding all these friends to my facebook and saw Susan and mention your blog, I immediately click it. I felt so good to hear that you are doing good. What a beautiful place! You do amazing work God Bless. I am proud and priviledge to know you. Please take care and be safe as always. You are the best!
Steph...you're still alive!!!! Colorado is where I should have been all along. Ironically with all of the migrants I often feel as if I'm on another continent. Mi espanol es muy beuno ahora! It looks like things are going well. Write me at gsuchon@gmail.com. Stay safe!
Greg
Hi Stephanie,
I love your blog. To be able to see and read what you are experiencing half a world away is amazing. I will try not to hold against you for not telling me about it sooner! What are your dates for Xmas?
We ARE all proud of you.
xoxo
Kate
Post a Comment