Friday, October 3, 2008

A month of photos












As I am well into my second month here in Swaziland, I am posting a smattering of pictures that highlight my first month. You should be able to find the sunrise view of my front yard with the mountains I awake to every morning. You will also see my roommate Erin (another Pediatric AIDS Corps doctor) and me hiking in a nearby nature preserve; in the park on the way to the trailhead we watched a group of zebras pass in front of our friends' car. While on the subject of animals, we spent one night in a game park and were excited to see a family of hippos getting out of the pond after an early morning swim. Finally, you will see some photos of the Reed Dance. While this tradition is quite complicated to explain, it essentially involves all the local maidens (reportedly 60,000 this year) bringing reeds to the queen mother and then dancing in front of the king (in the big stadium). We spent the day watching this all day spectacle, held annually in early September.

3 comments:

Heather said...

It's so beautiful there! My camera can't wait to visit! :)

sarahlee said...

i'm so excited that you are experiencing mbabne to the fullest. i'm living my life-long african missions dream through your eyes, so keep the blogs and pics coming! i promise to be patient. Baby Lee kicks hello!

Unknown said...

Steph! Finally glad you got this up. Since I won't be able to bring the goose in Swailand I am glad that you are able to post some picture to bring Swailand to us!!