Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Happy New Year 2009!











I have been very lucky spending some quality time rejuvenating myself both in the US and on a short vacation within Africa. I was so excited to see many of you and share with you my in-person stories of how I spend my days. When I have tough days here, I think of all my wonderful friends and family back home and realize how very fortunate I am.
The photos this time show off not the country of Swaziland, but instead Angola, where my friend Margaret and her family have been living. This is gorgeous countryside in a country newly rebuilding itself after years of civil war. Interestingly, the HIV epidemic has not taken off there yet as the borders were closed for so long. It will truly be a study in epidemiology to see if the disease will remain under control or if, with time, the disease will permeate through countryside and city as it has done through so many other countries in Africa.
I will close with two short patient stories from last week. My jaw dropped as I unwrapped a very sick child being carried on a very sick mother’s back; after realizing the baby was still breathing and very much alive, I found the problem to be severe malnutrition. I sent the child to the hospital, but it was too late. In yet another patient encounter I found another malnourished child who would benefit from the ready to use therapeautic food Plumpy Nut. I then casually wrote the prescription for the child, which was many packets of food over the next 2 weeks. Thinking I was going to help this child and feeling good about making a difference, the mother then became very quiet and would not answer questions; finally with the help of a translator I learned that she cannot carry the 28 packets of food home with her and does not have money to take a bus home with her and her child. Therefore, she will not accept the food packets. Yet another unexpected barrier in our attempts to do some good.

1 comment:

Anne said...

Glad you are back safely. It was so good to see you over the holiday and hear just a little bit about what things are like over there.
It must be overwhelming at times; I don't know how I would face either of the two situations you've described here, and these are only two of many. I admire your being able to keep helping where you can. (28 packets sounds like it would not be that great a volume - do they not fit into bags??)