Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Mud and a little more...






My weekends are always full…of new adventures. I’ll start with my WORK this past weekend (no, I’m not always playing!)… hanging out at teen club. Almost a hundred kids come from around the country to our clinic to learn more about HIV.
What have I done on recent weekends? A few weeks ago we went to Maputo, Mozambique and ventured to a beach about an hour outside the city. Getting to the beach involved a ride across an inlet on a “car ferry” as well as a ride standing up in the back of a truck as our car was not equipped to handle the muddy road. We also got to see firsthand the multiple police stops that are present in Maputo; four stops in three days and about twenty dollars later we did make it back to Swaziland in one piece.
One would have thought we would have learned the power of mud as this weekend we came across some more mud at a local game reserve and actually thought our amazing corolla could handle it. Thankfully the game viewing was not all that spectacular and the highlight of the morning was pushing our car out of the mud. Traveling in a caravan has never been so important before living in Africa. I also have a newly found appreciation for a true 4-wheel-drive vehicle.
Finally, I don’t always travel on the weekends. Last week I was taking care of a bit of work on a Saturday morning when I get a call from our good friend Nick. He needed sutures. Erin and I spend the next hour sewing up a laceration that would have been handled by a plastic surgeon in the US. After removing the sutures a few days later, we are now able to admire our handiwork every time we hang out with him!

No comments: