Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Ponta d'Ouro, Mozambique





The great thing about winter in Mbabane is that there are escapes. Last weekend a group of 12 of us enjoyed a beach escape, to southern Mozambique. Getting there involved again a caravan through gravel, then dirt and finally the last 20 km of sand roads, in order to make it to this town on the ocean. Our cars had a few minor mishaps but nothing a few good solid pushes from behind couldn't handle!

And once there, of course, we enjoyed a beautiful sand beach with great waves as well as nightly barbecues. You'll notice the usual suspects in these photos, with the one addition, my friend Maura Foster. She traveled to Swaziland from the CHKD residency in order to spend a month working at the Baylor clinic. Again, I love spreading the joys of global health to all who will hear about it and some who can experience it! I think she enjoyed the work and play as much as I enjoyed having her over here.

Finally, I must explain the last photo. This was a going away party we hosted for our dear friend Davinia who is leaving Swaziland to head back to the states before her next state department posting in Cuba! In anycase, in perfect timing, the Swaziland (SD) newspaper headlines featured a great caption that couldn't be more true, and provided some great wall decor for us! Just check out the numbers in the photo to figure out the problem!

No comments: