Tuesday, October 20, 2009

"You saved my life"



One day last week I was in clinic, seeing patients, when there was a knock on my door. Outside was a gentleman, exactly my age, who told me, "You saved my life." This man had been extremely sick only weeks before. After a combination of routine medications, he improved significantly. This man then continued. He sat down and told me, "Doctor, I hid things from you. I just couldn't go back to the hospital." He had been there twice in the past month. He described, "I would go to bed and when I woke up the next morning the person in the bed next to me would be gone. That place was messing with my head. Then it would happen again the next night. I was waiting for my turn to come." I have walked through the wards many times and always imagine how tough it is for the patients to stay there. Now I know, first-hand, the struggles these patients face simply by being in the hospital. This gentleman was lucky. His strength and determination saved his life.

1 comment:

Martha Smith said...

Sounds like you're much more than a pediatrician. You are making a real difference in the lives of many people. I feel so privileged to know you. Love the photos, too.