Sunday, February 28, 2010

Victoria Falls!




I have made it to Victoria Falls! This is one of those sites that I had been told many times to "not miss" during my stay in this part of the world. And getting to view it both up close in person was an impressive and memorable experience, complete with umbrellas to keep the mist away. I also took a helicopter ride over the falls to view it from all angles. We saw the falls from Zimbabwe (with the other option being Zambia, as both countries border the falls). Despite the desparate economic situation that country is in (we paid in US dollars for everything) the few people we conversed with seemed upbeat and optimistic. Of course, we were in the biggest tourist town in the country so I don't want to mislead anyone on the dire situation there; I work with many Zimbabwean doctors in Swaziland who have left their homeland. I traveled with my college roommate Margaret and some of her friends on both this journey and the next few days, when we ventured into Botswana and the Okavango Delta. So...stay tuned, more photos to come soon.

No comments: