Friday, April 9, 2010

Why did I go to Libya?






A few weeks ago I headed to Libya, along with several other doctors from Swaziland, as well as doctors from Baylor clinics all over Africa. We were headed to a conference, the First HIV Conference in Libya and also a Baylor Network meeting. Baylor has been providing technical assistance for a group of HIV infected Libyan children, and they graciously hosted us for a week long gathering. I presented a poster highlighting the succeses our clinic in Swaziland has had with treating pregnant women with ARVs to prevent HIV transmission to the baby.

The food was amazing...coffee breaks full of baklava and pistachio nuts galore. All the hummous one could want. And some delicious fish. The people were very friendly and gracious hosts. And we spent one entire day sightseeing, seeing amazing Greek and Roman ruins, in a bit more disrepair from what I remember in Rome, but with a whole lot less tourists! Getting visas to visit this interesting country was a bit of a challenge, and we almost had to stay in Cairo as our passports were not translated into arabic, but a few international phone calls sorted that problem.

Our return trip took us to Cairo for one full day, long enough to see the pyramids, King Tut, and discover that Egypt deserves a full two week journey....sometime.

2 comments:

Jillie said...

Wow, Stephanie, what a trip! I love your updates!

Martha Smith said...

That's fascinating. I'm so glad you were able to share what you've learned with people who need that information. And to see the Pyramids to boot! What a fantastic experience you are having!