




A few weeks ago I headed to Kruger National Park, with a pediatric resident I knew from CHKD, Sarah, who came to work at our clinic. Accompanying us was a friend I met living here, Elaine, who happened to graduate from a rival high school in Arlington the same year I did!
As usual, we were in search of "The Big Five", lions, leopards, buffalo, elephants and rhino. I had not yet seen a leopard, the most elusive of the bunch. Well, that changed. Our morning started with seeing some playful lions, and then coming upon an impala, dead in a tree. We knew the leopard must be close! After searching and searching, we headed back to camp to pack up, driving by the tree on our way out of the park. There we found the leopard, sitting under a bush. After watching for more than thirty minutes, we continued on our way. We came upon some more cars stopped, and realized they were watching a leopard off in a field in the distance. Straining to see, we turned around to quickly see a leopard run right behind our car! This was now three leopards in one hour; I had waited more than a year to see even one! But it was well worth the wait and a very exiciting "another day in Africa"....

2 comments:
Yay!!! I'm so excited. 3 in one hour!! Unbelievable! Glad you got pictures and that your search is now complete.
You finally saw one and so amazingly close!
Post a Comment