



I just got back from a weekend in Johannesburg and Pretoria, along with several hundred thousand other football fans who were also attending the matches. We found all the logistics within South Africa to be well organized--we drove directly to park and walks, parked our car, and then walked to the stadiums. The Soccer City stadium in Soweto, which will host the finals, is quite an impressive stadium that holds around 90,000. We watched Argentina definitely beat South Korea, although I'm excited to know that both teams will advance to the next round. Friday we headed to Ellis Park, in central Johannesburg and enjoyed several hours of revelry with other Americans. I even sat behind a fellow Arlingtonian who graduated from my same highschool....several years after I did. And it seems that we know just as much now as we knew then regarding our third goal that was not. The next day we headed to Pretoria to take part in an African match (Cameroon vs. Denmark), unfortunately they lost. But the vuvuzelas were at their loudest with this crowd; I even tried earplugs for a short while.
The excitement continues from afar here in Swaziland; we have struggled to finish work a bit early to watch the 4 PM matches...and are already scheming ways to make it back to JoBurg for another match or two. Soccer fever has hit us all!

2 comments:
I was thinking of you!
So glad you got to see some World Cup games. Another Yorktown grad, my son David, was there. Check out his new blog: www.ayobatime.blogspot.com.
Post a Comment