




I think my favorite time of day is the sunset. We find ourselves often planning our day around the sunset, making sure we are at the right place at the right time to enjoy the natural beauty of the end of the day. I'm posting a few of my favorite African sunset pictures....Kruger National Park, Cape Town, a mountain range called Blyde River Canyon in South Africa. I'm also posting my latest photos, from Mauritius, where I spent a few days recently with a few friends doing nothing else but reading, relaxing and scuba diving.
Watching the sunset clears my mind of the challenges I face at work. This week was a particularly tough week. I watched a teenager die from TB, malnutrition and AIDS, who had been my patient for the past 2 months. He was smart, witty and even able to joke with me in English, and unfortunately had his life shortened by this devastating disease. While I mourn his loss personally, for me he was one of the many faces of this epidemic. He is but one of thousands of children who had a lot to contribute to society and to his country, but departed this world too early. While the ARV medicines are saving the lives of some, we are too late. The culture, economies and brainpower of this and many other countries hit hard by HIV have suffered huge losses that are permanently changing the landscapes of these nations. For now I will keep doing what I can to help these people who need help the most.

1 comment:
Hi Steph,
I can see why sunset is your favorite - these pictures are stunning. I could use some for my covers- I hope you do not mind.
I miss you. I hope all is great.
Post a Comment