Thursday, November 19, 2009

Surviving the Rain





It is rainy season here. I forgot that means it rains every day. Either the entire day is rainy and cold, or the day is hot followed by an evening thunderstorm that provides a great show and then cools the air. One day I am sweating in short sleeves, the next (today) I am shivering in a fleece and scarf.

How do we entertain ourselves when the weather doesn't cooperate? Well, we still go hiking and just hope to miss the rain; I'm posting a photo from one of the "sunnier" recent days here. And then we have theme parties. You will notice I am dressed as a gogo, a grandmother, for a Halloween party. You will also notice the S party, in which I was a skittle. This was actually a few months ago, but provided another great theme for a party; everyone had to come dressed with something that started with the letter S.

Finally, you will notice the "Pep" party. What is that you might ask? Well, there is a store in town called Pep, that is a bit like a K-mart. The goal was to buy a complete outfit for 99 rand (about 15 dollars), wear it to the party and then donate it to an orphanage. You will notice we had quite an array of costumes for that evening. Let's hope the rain ends soon so I can get back to my regular blog postings!

2 comments:

Heather said...

Love the theme parties! Good ideas!

Martha Smith said...

I enjoyed the Roy G. Biv tee shirts! How was your second Thanksgiving in Swaziland? (I went back and read your older posts.) Is your "Baylor Center of Excellence" connected with Baylor School of Medicine in Houston? My brother used to teach neuropathology there. Will you come to Virginia for Christmas? I'll have piano music waiting for you.