



I spent Christmas in Swaziland this year. We had a very relaxed day filled with sunshine, heat, swimming pools and food. Most Swazis enjoy spending the day with their families. There is very little commercialization of the holiday here, which is a pleasant change of pace.
My days were busy leading up to Christmas. I was the camp doctor for our teen group. A camp organization from the US came and set up ten days of camp, with Peace Corps Volunteers as counselors. The kids played many usual and not-so-usual camp games, and had a great time performing for a select audience the last day of camp. I forgot how exhausting spending long days with 14-16 year olds can be! For all of my teacher friends out there...I admire you all even more!
And we also had a Christmas party for our teenagers. This was most graciously hosted by a very caring US Embassy employee who opened her house to over 150 children for a morning gathering with hot dogs and holiday cookies. She also organized donations of adorable knit teddy bears from the US; all the kids walked away with a stocking filled with a bear. Santa DOES come to Swaziland, even with no snow!

1 comment:
Hmmm, you were my student when you were 8 to 18 and I never found you exhausting, but I know what you mean. Your father and I put together a package of piano music for you, which I hope you receive soon. Happy Summer!
Post a Comment