



This posting is a long overdue thank you to some of my dearest friends. In fact, Carrie Cochran Vaughn, who may have known me longer than anyone reading this (except my family of course) is the one to start thanking. Apparently those values of sharing and generousity we learned together in preschool have stuck with her. She decided to organize a group donation. Several of you came together to help our clinic buy a new piece of lab equipment. I've saved a bit of the donation to make care packages for moms that end up in the hospital with their children, having no change of clothes, no blankets, no cleaning supplies. We give them a small bag on their way to the hospital with these items.
Many of you have been asking me about ways to help. Just thinking of me is support enough. But I'm passing on some of the most trustworthy sites I know and respect here in Swaziland. Firstly, the group that Carrie utilized is worldalteringmedicine.org. This was set up by a group of physicians, some of whom used to work here in Swaziland. If you want the donation earmarked for a certain purpose, put my name on the donation somehow and I will make sure it gets to the right place.
Another site is swazilandteenclub.wordpress.com. Once a month we host sessions at our clinic for teenagers living with HIV. Many of these children take daily medications and have little or no support at home. We provide an educational session, provide some fun and games, and give some positive role models by utilizing volunteers from around the country, including US Peace Corps volunteers who travel from remote homesteads to volunteer.
Goneruralswazi.com is another site dedicated to helping the women living in rural Swaziland. They make beautiful baskets that are sold at local stores in Swaziland. And this organization is run by a friend of mine here in Swaziland. I have helped them immensely through the many baskets I have purchased, and also through paying school fees for the children of these women who are working to live.
Finally, this weekend I attended the annual BushFire music festival. This year was particularly great with the headliner, Freshly Ground, playing. I strongly recommend you check out their music. They are an eclectic group from Cape Town complete with a flutist (my favorite), and apparently will be peforming at the opening of the World Cup. Anyways, this music festival sponsors a group called youngheroes.org.sz. This group provides food and school fees to double orphans (children who have lost both parents). We treat many of these children at our clinic. But many are not HIV positive but merely victims of the epidemic.
I hope this list gave you some ideas. Your support of my work through your messages and thoughts is plenty. But for those who want to see a bit more about life in Swaziland, check out some of these sites. I'm adding a few photos...a group photo of our Baylor Pediatric AIDS Corps Swaziland, a photo of our clinic complete with a new playground, and some photos of Freshly Ground. Finally, just a reminder that the World Cup is just around the corner!!!

No comments:
Post a Comment