Wednesday, December 22, 2010

A great big Thank You!




I wrote several months ago about my friends who had organized a donation to our clinic. Well, I just wanted to share with all of you the wonderful new gadgets I was able to purchase. The first item is called a "hemocue" machine. This is a rapid way of checking one's hemoglobin. HIV, TB and some of the HIV medications (zidovudine) can cause anemia. Many times patients arrive very sick. Being able to quickly check their hemoglobin levels is very important. All we have to do is poke their finger, put some blood in a small cuvette and stick it in the machine. Within one minute we have our answer. I am posting a photo of Dr. Doug with our amazing nurse Godwin and our lab tech using the machine! When babies have anemia, they too need iron. But our clinic only has pills. Often times these babies are on the border of needing a blood transfusion, and getting iron into them quickly is very important. So, I also purchased some liquid iron medication for those babies that need it most. Finally, I spend a lot of time on Ward 8 at the Government Hospital (the photo of town shows the hospital on the hill). Their washing machine, a previous donation, broke. They use this for bed linens, for some abandoned children who stay at the hospital for extended periods, and also allow familes to use it when it is raining outside and the wash needs to be done. So I was able to purchase a new washing machine for ths hospital, with YOUR generous donations. Thanks again!

1 comment:

Carrie said...

Hooray! A hemocue, some doses of liquid iron and a washing machine. How totally perfect. I'm so glad you were able to end your time there on a high note. So many people's lives were saved and will be saved because of you. Can't wait to see you.
-Carrie