That’s right. Why, you might ask, would I trade the beautiful countryside of Swaziland for the cityscape of Houston? Well, I decided that after almost 2 ½ years abroad it was time to try out life back in the US. But rather than head back to my previous experiences in Virginia or DC, I came to Houston. I am still working for Baylor College of Medicine, the same organization that runs the clinic I worked at in Africa. I am the first “Global Health Fellow” in the General Pediatrics Department at Texas Children’s Hospital. What exactly does that mean? I will be teaching residents, performing research in the field of pediatric global health, caring for patients in the US, both HIV positive and negative, and studying for a Masters of Public Health. While it is a big change from the daily patient care I have been used to, it is an exciting change as well. As part of my program, I expect to be traveling back to Africa several times. So, it is not so much a “goodbye” as it is a “see you in a while, with new goals and ambitions”. Clearly my time abroad has impacted my future; I intend to keep international pediatric HIV care and global health a priority no matter where my career may lead.
In the meantime, I have been enjoying reacclimatizing to life in the US, finding Starbucks, the grocery store and Target a fascinating diversion. High speed internet has also been revolutionary. Once I get my television up and running, I am sure that will also point to the many changes I have missed out on over the past few years. If anyone finds themselves traveling through Houston, feel free to look me up. I think it will be hard though to top the number of visitors that managed to make their way to Swaziland.
I do hope to continue educating you about my journey in the field of pediatric HIV care; though the postings may be few and infrequent I am pleased that so many of you have learned just a bit more about the challenges of health care in the developing world. I hope you will continue with my journey both in the US and abroad.

4 comments:
Sounds like the Houston experience is going to be amazing. Maybe we'll happen to actually see each other sometime this year! Good luck with the reverse culture shock.
Yay Stephanie!! I love your focus. I can see you now...advising a future president's cabinet on global health issues. (If that sort of thing happens...)
Yay! I love the update! And maybe I'll get to see you at some point soon!
I just know you're going to enjoy Houston, especially being so near my old hang-out, Rice University. The Shepherd School of Music there has a broad range of free and not-so-free concerts in beautiful settings. Steve and I, and maybe David, too, are returning for Homecoming Nov. 5 - 7, 2011, so please save some time that weekend (is that enough advance notice?). Best wishes in your new endeavors, Love always, Martha
Post a Comment